The history of bay rum is as caveman as it gets. Sailors in the 16th century discovered that the West Indies bay leaf made a great perfume to freshen up and mask the stink they acquired while being stuck on a ship for months. To apply the scent to themselves, the sailors would rub the dry leaves on their body, thus leaving the fragrant oil on their skin. While sailors were rubbing leaves on themselves, farmers were cultivating boat loads of sugar to be shipped back to Europe. Tired of having to rub bay leaves on himself like a weirdo, some sailor got the idea that rum would make a great liquid to steep the bay leaves in to extract their essential oils and make an easy-to-apply cologne. And with that, bay rum was born. Islanders took this basic recipe and began adding their own olfactory flourishes by mixing in cloves, citrus rind, and cinnamon. Rum was later replaced with more modern olfactory methods to extract the bay leaf essential oils.
From the West Indies the scent spread to the rest of the world and became popular among men as an aftershave scent. Our Bolt Barbers Bay Rum concoction is a long lasting, slightly woody, sweet, earthy scent, that’s loaded with blasts of clove & cinnamon. Use it as an after shave and also as an invigorating cologne to revive the skin on your face, neck, & chest. Our Bay Rum is also an ideal stimulating tonic for your scalp. Bolt Barbers Bay Rum comes gift boxed and is presented in a stainless steel re-purpose-able 6 ounce hip flask. Bolt Barbers Bay Rum sells for $22 bucks at Bolt Barbers, in select LA stores, and online at amazon.com and boltbarbers.com. Bay Rum refills are available at Bolt Barbers for $11 from our Bay Rum refilling station. Ask our dude greeters for a refill.
- Bolt Barbers in 8/8 Los Angeles Times
- Dick Van Dyke Picks a Winner: Actor Drops by Bolt Barbers for Midnight Mission Raffle
- It’s criminal to charge for this haircut, that’s why we shear mullets free every Monday
- Watch The Bolt Barbers Documentary Hitting Korean National TV:
- Bolt Barbers Presents Matt Larson!
- Bolt Barbers in the LA Times!!!!
- Bolt Barbers Presents Robbie Schoen’s Mixed Media Instrument Series
- Grand Opening Highlights
- LA Grand Opening Events: Nov 12th: Hawks For Homeless & Rites of Passage
- And so on ›